Saturday, August 10, 2013

Traveling, Training and Tying Up Loose Ends Pt. 2


Welp! It's here, ya'll! 10 days from today I leave for Hong Kong. Have I started to freak out a little? Yes. But in a good way. I am so excited to get going on this mission.

A lot has happened since I returned home from training and traveling. In the past few weeks I have been trying to say goodbye to all of my close friends and family here in Asheville. Last weekend, I said goodbye to one of my best friends, Helen Lindau, as she embarks on her journey to work with the Episcopal Service Corps in New Orleans. I also got to share a tasty Asheville brew with fellow YASCer Alan Yarborough before he departed for Cange, Haiti. I am so proud of my fellow Ashevillians Episcopalians for doing such meaningful work with their lives. Such inspiration.

I also knocked two items off of my America bucket list by attending an Asheville Tourist baseball game and going for a hike in my beloved Blue Ridge Mountains. The pictures speaks for themselves: both activities were a blast.


Young Adult Episcopalians taking in some Asheville baseball. 


The view from atop one of Sam's Knob. One of my favorite hikes. 


This past week I was also quite productive! Since last Sunday I have received all my vaccinations for my upcoming trip, written all of my thank-you notes to my wonderful donors and received my visa for Hong Kong. On top of all of that good stuff, I also finished fundraising for my trip!

On Sunday, August 4, I spoke at St. Luke's Church in Asheville where I received just enough to finish fundraising. I was not aware of this going into it but St. Luke's is a historic chapel built in the late 1800s. It is a very small sanctuary but it is very beautiful and intimate. I was so nervous going into speak because I was not accustomed to speaking to so many in such a small space, however I was quickly comforted by kindness of the people inside. Never before I have received such a warm welcome from a congregation.  What St. Luke's lacks in size, they make up with generosity and love. It was a great way to wrap up a long five months of fundraising and preparation for this mission.

St. Luke's on Chunn's Cove Road in Asheville.
It has been a long and difficult journey raising the money needed for this trip, however it has been so rewarding to travel to churches in the diocese of Western North Carolina and talk about YASC and my mission. I want to send a HUGE "thank you" to everyone who has supported me through this process. I promise I will do my best to make you proud, and pay forward the kindness you have all shown to me. Y'all are the best.

10 days until I leave for Hong Kong! You will be hearing from me at least one more time before I leave. Until then, be good.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting site and it has a lot of helpful information posted here. Thanks for all your hard work.

    Travel

    ReplyDelete